Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I’ve been in the land of maccarons for over a week now, and boy does it bring back those infinite memories of broke boredom. I feel like I could never have enough money here, no matter how deep my pockets were and how well my stockings were stuffed. This town is one of interest and one of small proportions making it easy to maneuver and pleasant to walk at the brisk pace I so enjoy. I feel like there is a sense of prehistory here in regards to the internet- my only point of access is at the campus, which is by modern architecture standards a bit over. It feels like it was very much built in the 70’s and is stark and out of the city center. No matter, because there are plenty of windows and it’s a pleasant walk when I do not find dead cats on the sidewalk. I’ve been stealing a lot of fruit from my cafeteria as it is one of the few edible and recognizable foods it offers- endives should never be boiled nor should chicken. As far as French cooking in Bourgogne goes, I loosely assumed a quality of edibility at the least instead of terrible smells and unattractive mystery. My food classification has become- mysterious or OK.
I feel the same loneliness I once felt in France and it has hit me hard again. I am having no problems adjusting to life here, and I feel no sense of regret for leaving, but but but all things considered my friends here are small numbered and many can only say bonjour and the rest of the time they smile at me with their adorable Korean faces and wave happily. It’s a bit of an idiot friendship but almost one I prefer to the others who pose little interest to me. I sometimes feel like Nova Scotia produced 2 kinds of people- one type who are classifiable within seconds (the whole batch of cookies here) and the others that take some time. I am fast learned.
I have however, been keeping my face straight and my vampire smiles (the one where I smile with 13 ounces of sarcasm boiled with sugar but garnished with lemon rind) rather low. My efforts are there but among my fellows I feel not out of place in France, but amongst the ones who are supposed to be my nearest! We have little understanding.
I am trying to keep some optimism in my glass half empty- perhaps I will forget it outside someday soon. Then it will rain and it shall be full. Forecast is teasing me with 40% shower probability. ON VA VOIR, BIEN?

No comments:

Post a Comment